Breaking News; Collingwood football Key Member’ departure confirmed today, due to…
The 56-year-old, who has been in the AFL for 35 years as a player and administrator, had initially offered his resignation to the club. However, Collingwood allowed him to take a break in the hope he would return refreshed. Despite this, the Magpies announced on Monday that Wright will not resume his role.
“We have been in constant discussions with Graham during his sabbatical and both of us have agreed that Graham be free to pursue new opportunities to further develop his already distinguished career,” said Magpies president Jeff Browne. “All of us at Collingwood wish Graham, his wife Tracey, and children James and Ethan all the best for the next chapter.”
Wright’s departure comes amid criticism over his decision to share photos of his holiday on social media while Collingwood struggled on the field. Port Adelaide great Kane Cornes was particularly vocal, arguing that it was a poor look for the club’s head of football to be vacationing publicly while the team was fighting for a finals spot.
“If he’s out, he’s out,” Cornes said on Footy Classified. “Let’s just pay him to go on a holiday and watch his Instagram clips as we’re sitting 12th on the ladder and trying to qualify for finals.”
Collingwood, the reigning premiers, are now only a mathematical chance to make the top eight heading into the final round of the season. In Wright’s absence, assistant coach Brendon Bolton and other members of the club’s staff took on additional responsibilities. Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd also commented that the reshuffle in the front office has impacted Collingwood’s performance on the field this season, suggesting the changes may have disrupted the team’s momentum.
Wright, who helped mastermind Collingwood’s premiership triumph last year, will now pursue new opportunities as his time with the club officially comes to an end.