Wolves boss issues Neto injury update ahead of West Ham clash
Latest Wolverhampton Wanderers news from BirminghamLive as star Portuguese forward nears return from hamstring injury
Injury update… Wolves winger Pedro Neto (Image: Wolves via Getty Images)
Wolves’ head coach Gary O’Neil will take no chances with Pedro Neto as the Portuguese forward nears a return from injury. Neto has missed their last six Premier League games after suffering a hamstring strain in the 2-2 draw with Newcastle on October 28.
The 23-year-old will also not be in the squad when Wolves travel to West Ham on Sunday (2pm kick-off), but could feature in the Christmas Eve fixture against Chelsea at Molineux.
Asked in his pre-match press conference if Neto was training with the first team, O’Neil said: “No, not just yet. He won’t be involved in the West Ham game, but we’re really hopeful he’ll be in the matchday squad for the Chelsea game.
“If he isn’t in the matchday squad for Chelsea it doesn’t mean there’s been a huge setback. He’s really close but, with the nature of the injury, being close still isn’t enough. We need to make sure he’s right. If everything goes perfectly, I’m hopeful he’ll be seen before Christmas.”
Defender Rayan Ait-Nouri should be available for the trip to West Ham after missing the last three games with an ankle injury. The Algeria international resumed light training before last week’s draw with Nottingham Forest and has stepped up his recovery in recent days.
“Rayan should be back and available, hopefully,” O’Neil said. “He came through training well today.”
Wolves are five points behind West Ham heading into Sunday’s game, with David Moyes’ side suffering a 5-0 thrashing at Fulham in their last Premier League outing.